Dirty Forums > underworld.
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2024, 10:34 AM
dubman
BigColor&Excited4SoupMan

Re: Strawberry Hotel - new album out 25th Oct
Quote:
Originally Posted by botkiller
Just went and pulled it up on Youtube to refresh myself. I'm pretty sure they played this in LA when I saw them last year (2023). I love this vibe from the boys and I would be curious what happened to the song itself as well. might be that it changed titles, much like how alwayslovedafilm morphed a few times.
I also revisited Techno Shinkansen today just to feel out how it goes after Denver Luna, and it makes more sense that way than as a standalone (which I wasn't too plussed by). Did notice that the album version is about 30 seconds shorter than the one on the game soundtrack too. Maybe it's been restructured a bit,
Old 09-10-2024, 10:34 AM
dubman
BigColor&Excited4SoupMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by botkiller View Post
I assume it's stylistic, We know the boys and Tomato are all about the little things sometimes.
I don't think Tomato are involved at all this round?
Old 09-10-2024, 10:45 AM
potatobroth
bungalow

I keep doing what they don't want me to!! I'm playing the 4 released songs over and over and thus, shuffling!
Old 09-10-2024, 02:26 PM
34958hq439-qjw9v5jq298v5j
blue

I am curious if there's something more conceptual to this album that would make them say that. I am intrigued by the fact that there's 2 versions of "denver luna" on this. iirc I don't think they've done anything like that before, outside of maybe some of the Drift stuff
Old 09-10-2024, 04:04 PM
potatobroth
bungalow

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34958hq439-qjw9v5jq298v5j View Post
I am curious if there's something more conceptual to this album that would make them say that. I am intrigued by the fact that there's 2 versions of "denver luna" on this. iirc I don't think they've done anything like that before, outside of maybe some of the Drift stuff
Well they placed two versions of the same song on Beaucoup Fish: Push Upstairs and Push Downstairs.
Old 09-10-2024, 04:47 PM
botkiller
-tired, so tired.

Oh weird, I didn't know that. The cover art is distinctly not Tomato so that would not surprise me. I guess regardless I have always seen UW as an art jam with the world's best music.
Old 09-11-2024, 08:19 AM
34958hq439-qjw9v5jq298v5j
blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by potatobroth View Post
Well they placed two versions of the same song on Beaucoup Fish: Push Upstairs and Push Downstairs.
lol can't believe I missed that, I remember thinking there was one example out there but my mind blanked
Old 09-11-2024, 08:49 AM
lemonjelly
mouseman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34958hq439-qjw9v5jq298v5j View Post
Totally. Underworld have been my favorite band ever since I got a Sony Walkman. They've earned it too. It started with Beacoup Fish and "Born Slippy", then discovering all the wonderful mid-90s stuff, then later having all the Riverrun stuff and OWB really grow on me, getting obsessed with Barking, BBWFASF as a 'return to form', all the amazing Drift tunes...nearly everything they do is special to me. They've been so good for so long. As for this new album, I really like what we've heard of it so far. I get the rollout has been weird, but it always is. I just hope there's more coming!
There is also the need to re-invent, challenge themselves, and create something new to make people (including themselves) go WOW!. First time I heard denver luna at the albert hall was immense.

I am looking forward to see how the album flows, view it as a whole piece.
Old 09-12-2024, 01:32 PM
negative1

this is by far the quietest release, and discussion i've seen for a new album from them.

but then again i didn't really pay attention when barking, or barbra barbra we face a shining future came out either. i did pay attention all through drift, and i dont think that will ever be matched again though.

since this is a traditional album, it was always going to be more low-key.

later
| || || ||
ne gative 1
Old 09-12-2024, 04:58 PM
purlieu
enofa

Barking got a lot of pages very quickly, and at least one spin-off thread (title complaining about PvD), although the somewhat contentious nature of the album certainly fed into that. I think Barbara was busier than this, too, but that's largely the nature of message boards these days. With social media and Reddit and the like, there's nobody to replace people when they leave, so it all ends up a bit... quiet.