I like Family Guy as well, but........

Old 11-17-2006, 03:58 PM
grady
fac321

Re: The Simpsons - The Movie - 07.27.07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Canuck
I like Family Guy as well, but........

Nice that someone clipped and upped that scene in particular. I always mention it to people, now I have an example to further reference my point.
Old 11-18-2006, 03:16 AM
Dirty0900
Only £50 a show,book now.

Didnt South Park do a two part episode rippin on Family Guy? Someone mentioned that to me, but we aint got new episodes of SP over yet.
Old 11-19-2006, 12:49 AM
Tom
BttKBtKt!

Send a message via AIM to Tom Send a message via MSN to Tom
Family Guy is forty thousand times funnier than modern day Simpsons, and anyone who thinks otherwise is full on fucked in the head.
Old 11-19-2006, 12:51 AM
luke
threadworm

Toms right. I can't remember the last time the Simpsons was even funny, let alone smart.
Old 11-19-2006, 11:03 AM
b.miller
Gentleman Loafer

Send a message via ICQ to b.miller Send a message via AIM to b.miller Send a message via MSN to b.miller Send a message via Yahoo to b.miller
i stopped watching simpsons at around season 10, but from what i understand, the people who are doing the Simpsons movies are the guys from those golden seasons 5-8 so i'm looking forward to it!

as for Family Guy, it was funny before it was cancelled. I don't think you can honestly say it's at the same level now. I'd like to see one episode without a single nonsensical reference to some past event and accompanying flashback. Maybe Simpsons is just as bad as that now i dunno, but let's see what Family Guy's like on season 17 or whatever... Simpsons season 3 kicks all sorts of Family Guy season 3 ass. undisputedly.
Old 11-19-2006, 11:42 AM
grady
fac321

Fuck that! Family guy is following in the same suit as a Kevin Smith film, ten years from now, you will need a reader's guide to get all the little piddly bullshit referential nonsense that pervades that show that at the time seems so hip and of reverance. You can use the same arguement for the Simpsons too, but it doesn't seem as painfully over the top as the Family Guy.

And there is the goddamn turd that could'nt get flushed down the toliet, American Dad.

As someone above, b.miller, in particular mentioned, Family guy is now a series of thought bubbles that begin with, "Hey, remember that one time....", then cue the film reference.

The Family Guy resurrected is nowhere near what it was before cancellation.

And as a simpsons fan/appologist, yeah, it's not stellar at all anymore, but I get a least a laugh and a chuckle, one of each from most episodes. However there are some that are so bad it makes me cringe, but never to the level of going to watch Family Guy.

Last edited by grady; 11-19-2006 at 05:51 PM.
Old 11-19-2006, 05:27 PM
holden
collateral damage

Send a message via MSN to holden
Can't believe we're debating cartoons worth... They're supposed to make you laugh, is all. The Simpsons used to, ten years ago, still does occassionally. The Family Guy consistently makes me laugh, don't care if it's over the top of juvenile. It's a freakin' cartoon. Freakin' sweet.

p.s. Sometimes comedy is supposed to be topical, cos no one laughs at "where's the beef?" jokes in 2006.

p.s. to Dirty0900: yeah, South Park ripped on Family Guy as being a bunch of puns and recollections written by manatees who moved "idea balls" from one side of a tank to another. Truth hurts, but it's still funny.
Old 11-19-2006, 05:50 PM
grady
fac321

Quote:
Originally Posted by holden
Can't believe we're debating cartoons worth... They're supposed to make you laugh, is all. The Simpsons used to, ten years ago, still does occassionally. The Family Guy consistently makes me laugh, don't care if it's over the top of juvenile. It's a freakin' cartoon. Freakin' sweet.

p.s. Sometimes comedy is supposed to be topical, cos no one laughs at "where's the beef?" jokes in 2006.

p.s. to Dirty0900: yeah, South Park ripped on Family Guy as being a bunch of puns and recollections written by manatees who moved "idea balls" from one side of a tank to another. Truth hurts, but it's still funny.
True they are just cartoons, but compare Family Guy to The Simpsons is not really much of an arguement. On one level, it's apples to oranges, but The Simpsons level of writing is leaps and bounds above the Family Guy.

So yeah, they're cartoons, but much greater thought and care goes into each episode of the Simpsons, compared to Seth McFarlane thinking it would be funny to parody Lost at the moment as it's the hip TV show. Even the bad episodes of The Simpsons will stand up better upon review than Family Guy.

Last edited by grady; 11-19-2006 at 05:54 PM.
Old 02-19-2007, 10:11 AM
grady
fac321

New Trailer.